The U.S. Department of Energy’s Solar Decathlon travels to California for 2013 — to the Orange County Great Park in Irvine. The 20 student teams selected to participate include nine returning teams, 11 new teams and four international teams. The teams are —
- Arizona State University with the University of New Mexico
- Czech Technical University
- Hampton University with Old Dominion University (Virginia)
- Middlebury College (Vermont)
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Norwich University (Vermont)
- Queen’s University with Carleton University and Algonquin College (Ontario)
- Santa Clara University (California)
- Southern California Institute of Architecture with the California Institute of Technology (California)
- Stanford University (California)
- Stevens Institute of Technology (New Jersey)
- Catholic University of America with George Washington University and American University (Washington, D.C.)
- University of North Carolina, Charlotte
- University of Texas, El Paso, with El Paso Community College
- University of Calgary (Alberta)
- University of Louisville with Ball State University and University of Kentucky
- University of Nevada Las Vegas
- University of Southern California
- Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
- West Virginia University.
The University of Maryland won the 2011 Decathlon, with Purdue University a close second. Read about last year’s event in the January/February issue of SOLAR TODAY magazine.
Photo by Jim Tetro/U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon.