The American Solar Energy Society (ASES) has an immediate volunteer opening within the Planning and Implementation team for the 2013 National Solar Conference in Baltimore, MD on April 16-20.
Half to full-time volunteer, located at ASES national headquarters in Boulder, Colorado. Position has a start date of February 11 and runs until May 10, 2013.
The Assistant Conference Director assists the Conference Director with a wide range of duties related to producing Solar 2013. This position is particularly key in maintaining a constant flow of information between the local, national and technical planning committees and ensuring that accurate reporting regarding financials and logistical tracking is up to date. This position is based at the ASES office in Boulder, CO and reports to the Conference Director.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conference Program planning, including Plenaries, Forums, and Technical Sessions
• Special Event coordination including lunches, receptions, and the Awards Banquet
• Assisting the Expo Manager with Mapping, Invoicing and Sponsor Fulfillment
• Interfacing with Facilities personnel at the Baltimore Convention Center & Hyatt Regency
• Manage the awards process in conjunction with the Awards Committee
• Support the Technical Divisions and Chapters Caucuse Meetings during the conference
• Assist with the production of the Event Program and Expo Map
• A wide range of other miscellaneous tasks involved in putting on a major national conference
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty well and with a high level of professionalism. It is expected that the individual will have a high level of creativity and understanding of non-profit organizations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Demonstrated project management skill and experience.
• Demonstrated problem solving skill and experience, including the ability to apply independent judgment, discretion and initiative to addressing problems and developing solutions.
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Oral communications skill in speaking clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations and in responding to inquiries in a professional manner.
• Skill in interacting and communicating with individuals at all levels of the organization.
• Skill in working collaboratively with others in a team environment.
• Demonstrated mastery of MS Office.
• Demonstrated mastery of Internet tools.
• Demonstrated mastery of effective time-management techniques.
• Capacity to follow up on tasks with minimal direct supervision.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Holds a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with several years experience in project and/or event management in a business or academic environment.
• Knowledge of renewable energy field.
• Prior experience with a nonprofit organization.
• Prior experience with meeting or conference organizing at the national level.
• Website strategy experience and design capability.
• Demonstrated skill in vendor relations ― both written and oral.
• Understanding of facilities and/or A/V needs for a large meeting or conference.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills and skill in relationship and partnership building.
Physical requirements are typical of those required for an administrative position. On occasion may need to lift 10-40 pounds. Some travel may be required, depending on volunteer’s availability.
Volunteer will qualify for free Full Conference Registration to Solar 2013, travel to and from Baltimore, MD, and hotel accommodations from April 15-21. Excellent performance may qualify individual for future employment opportunities with ASES.
For more information or to submit your resume please contact Brian Allen, Conference Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or (720) 420-7938.