The American Solar Energy Society (ASES) Annual Fund is an appeal to members and stakeholders to provide ongoing financial support for ASES. In 2014, individual gifts to the annual fund are defined as those less than $2,000. Annual fund gifts are unrestricted by definition and support the operations and mission of the organization. ASES reports on the number of donations and tracks progress toward the goal, which is $250,000 in 2014. This goal is tied to growth targets for ASES activities. For example, ASES’ three-year membership growth targets for each category are:
- 7,500 full members
- 2,000 emerging professionals
- 5,000 solar citizens.
Current ASES membership is 5,000. The ASES annual report is available online, and ASES is registered with Guidestar, a philanthropic accounting and monitoring listing agency. To donate, please use this form. For more information, contact David Panich, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EVERY DAY, more energy falls on the lower 48 states than is used in the United States in an entire year.
- The PRICE OF PHOTOVOLTAIC CELLS HAS DROPPED 99% in the past quarter century.
- The SOLUTION to our most vexing energy and environmental problems COMES UP EVERY MORNING.
- Americans OVERWHELMINGLY SUPPORT the development of solar energy, and that support bridges political divides.
- A huge solar energy spill is a REALLY NICE DAY.
So WHY—when it’s abundant, affordable, popular, and safe—does solar account for only 0.2% of the electricity generated in the United States?
BECAUSE the solar industry lacks the communication clout that keeps traditional energy sources predominant. At the American Solar Energy Society (ASES), we’re committed to changing that.
ASES celebrates its 60th birthday this year. For all this time, it has been a steady presence through the ebbs and flows of political and popular support for solar. The ASES mission to inspire energy innovation and speed the transition to a sustainable energy economy has never been more important. At ASES, we believe that—with your help—we can give every American easy access to:
- The facts they need to demand action from their elected officials and utilities
- The data to advocate for solar in their homes, workplaces, and communities
- A supportive community of like-minded people locally, nationally, and internationally.
ASES has been doing all this for decades, but it is critical that we scale up our efforts NOW. We can’t do it without your help. That’s why we are launching the ASES Annual Fund Appeal. Your support of the Annual Fund will help us:
- Educate our members to be effective solar advocates.
- Expand our core programs—the National Solar Conference, SOLAR TODAY magazine, the Solar Citizen and Solar@Work e-newsletters, and the National Solar Tour—to impact more Americans.
- Increase support to our nationwide network of local chapters.
- Strengthen relationships with other U.S. and international renewable energy organizations to spread the solar message far and wide.
ASES is uniquely positioned to tell the solar story to a broad American audience. We are the ONLY grassroots U.S. renewable energy organization serving consumers and solar enthusiasts alongside academics, researchers, and solar professionals.
Do you value the accurate, reliable energy information ASES provides? Show your support—donate to the ASES Annual Fund NOW.
Your donation to the ASES Annual Fund, which covers general operating expenses, will go a long way toward helping us reach our goal of raising $250,000 in 2014 (in 2013 we raised just over $215,000 for operations. See our 2013 Annual Report for more information.). ASES is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, supported solely by members, advertisers, event sponsors, and donations from supporters like you. If you would like to contribute to your favorite ASES program or project, please take note of our Major Gifts Appeal, described here.
Major Gifts and Foundation Grants
Major gifts and foundation grants to the American Solar Energy Society (ASES) are tied to specific activities and outcomes. For 2014, major gifts are defined as those greater than $2,000. For example, major donors can support:
- The National Solar Conference
- Growing SOLAR TODAY magazine
- The National Solar Tour
- Digitization of 60 years of ASES archives.
ASES provides personal updates to major gift donors that track the progress of the activities their gifts support. We also work with them to understand how the ASES mission and ASES programs and activities align with their future philanthropic objectives. Major gift donors are offered the opportunity to meet with the board, provided recognition according to their preferences, and—if appropriate—invited to serve on the board or an advisory committee. For more information, contact Carly Rixham at email@example.com.