Blount County Alabama Solar Home Tour
10/05/2013 - 10/06/2013
9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Phone: 205 429-3088
Blount County Alabama
Royal, AL 35031
Blount County Solar Home Tour
October 5 and 6, 2013
- The Solar Tour is a 3 ½ + hour guided walking tour that includes 4 passive solar houses with numerous solar and efficiency features. Viewing a nearby ranch house may be scheduled before afternoon or after the morning guided tours. This house is retrofitted with a battery grid tie solar PV system, an attached green house and geothermal heat pumps.
- The Tours will be at 9 am or 2 pm Saturday, October 5; and 2 pm Sunday, October 6. Come join us for a brown bag lunch discussion and a film at noon on Saturday between the tours.
- The 4 passive solar homes have unique designs, one is insulated with bales of wheat straw, another one is a dodeca–yurt, one features clerestory windows, and another one is built underground.
- Energy efficient appliances include CFL and LED lighting, washing machines, ceiling fans, a mini-split ductless heat pump and a super efficient homemade chest refrigerator and freezer.
- Active solar systems include solar water heating and battery based solar pv systems.
- You may see other items of interest such as: vegetative shading, organic gardens, vermi-composting, rain water catchment, solar dehydrator, and solar ovens.
- Plan to wear comfortable walking shoes for about a mile walk. Arrangements can be made for those unable to walk that distance. Two of the houses are fairly wheel-chair friendly.
- There will be a brown bag lunch discussion at noon on Saturday. All are welcome to stay after the Saturday morning tour or come early before the afternoon tour. Bring your lunch and join us. We will provide lemonade. At 1 pm the film Kilowatt Ours will be shown.
- For those coming on Sunday the same film will be shown at 1 pm.
- To register, please e-mail SolarTourAlabama@gmail.com for a registration form.
- Questions? Call Daryl @ 205-429-3088